Tuesday, August 21, 2012

HKUST Buddy Program

Before your arrival in Hong Kong, HKUST gives you the option of having a buddy to help you out at the airport and get you acquainted with the campus/the local city. You'll also be able to specify your buddy preference as male or a female.

About a month before school starts, they'll send you the buddy program activity sheet outlining the details of things to do with your buddy. Here's what my activity sheet looked like:


Buddy Program Activity
- 8 September 2012 (Saturday) -

Meeting time: 10:30 am
Meeting Venue: LG4 Common Room, Lift 3

Program Rundown
10:30 am                       Welcome & Introduction
10:45 am                        Light Brunch
11:45 am                        Depart from HKUST
12:30 - 1:30 noon          Arrive at Stanley Market for LUNCH
                                       Students can choose their own from a wide variety of restaurants
1:30 - 2:45 pm               Visit the Bazaar & Beach
                                       Visit historic buildings at Stanley: Murray house, Police Station
2:45 pm                          Depart from Stanley Market
3:30 pm                          Arrive at Victoria Peak
3:30 - 5:30 pm                Free activity at peak
5:30 ~                             Leave the Peak to head to Central: Lan Kwai Fong, Hollywood Road, SOHO (Optional), etc.

* There will not be transport back down from the peak. Students are to take public transport home.

Details: Start off by visiting Stanley Market where students can shop and have lunch. Ride up to the Peak for a panoramic view of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the surrounding island.
What to Bring: Camera, Money
Lunch Options: Pepperonis, Saigon, Pickled Pelican, Pizza Express, Boathouse, Chung's Cuisine, etc.



There were more buddies than exchange students this year, so some people were assigned two buddies instead of one. The GSO (Global Student Office) assigned me two girls (I requested girls), but for some reason the SBM (School of Business Management) also assigned me another buddy, one guy. I didn't mind having more buddies (more help!) but I just didn't want to be taking away someone else's opportunity for a buddy so I emailed both departments about it. Basically, it just seemed like they made a mistake but since they had already assigned three buddies to me, they weren't going to do anything about it.

My first buddy never emailed me or responded to any of my messages. My second buddy accompanied me until after the buddy activities were over, but never kept contact afterwards or took the initiative to acquaint me with the city. My third buddy, however, was great! He was really considerate and offered to pick me up at the airport and take me to IKEA to purchase bedding, hangers, and other dorm essentials. We also kept in contact throughout the semester. Most buddies will be really friendly and super helpful. You can expect them to offer to pick you up at the airport, help you with your octopus card and sim card, and also take you to IKEA as well.

No comments: